Episode 072 (Goals? What Goals?)
Recorded Monday, January 21, 2020
(Text in blue below represents hyperlinks!)
Hello to pickyuni, Manda-Jane, and purpledream! If you haven’t already done so, please say hello in the Kino Knits Ravelry group Introduce Yourself thread!
Kino Knits designs are now available through Deep South, a company that produces hard-copy patterns and provides them to local yarn stores at the wholesale rate. If you like Kino Knits, please ask your LYS to stock my patterns!
New shawl design on US 6 (4.0 mm) for the Yarnover Truck Happiness Gradient Club. Club members will receive a long gradient cake of yarn: Apple Tree Knits Luxe Fingering Gradient (51/49 silk/wool, 500 yards/113 g) in an exclusive colorway. But the pattern will be out on January 29 (I think!) for everyone. Sign up for the Kino Knits newsletter to get the best discount once it goes live. Pattern is a triangular shawl that uses all your yardage. Keeping the name a secret for now since that will ruin the theme for the club members.
Rock Solid by Kino Knits (coming February 2020) on US 1 (2.25 mm) in Mint Rain Hand Dyed Twist Sock (80/20 superwash merino/nylon, 600 yards/150 g) in “Highlighters Plus Black” mini skein set. Pre-order yours here! Part of “Lots of Socks KAL” to benefit Down Syndrome International (DSi). Read details here!
Vanilla Socks on US 1 (2.25 mm) in Tempting Ewe Yarns Ewe So Sparkly Sock (75/20/5 merino/nylon/stellina, 438 yards/100 g) in Touch of Rainbow colorway. Started at Preservation Hall Jazz Band show in Baltimore.
First design in Point/Counterpoint, Vol. 5 (planned release May 2020) on US 8 (5.0 mm) in The Farmer’s Daughter Fibers Craggy Tweed (85/15 BFL/NEP, 231 yards/100 g) in Amos Moses colorway. Check out my Instagram feed for a chance to win a copy of the collection!
New blanket design on US 7 (4.5 mm) in DK yarn- will take 82 years to finish. Modular. Did the math to see what it would take to finish in 2020. Would need to do 20 segments a month to knit the middle size. Ummm… nope!
I finished 35 things:
- 11 pairs of socks (4 designs, 4 for me, 3 gifts)
- 9 hats (3 design, 6 gift) (plus unknown number of preemie hats)
- 6 shawls (6 design)
- 3 cowls (3 design)
- 2 mitts (1 design, 1 gift)
- 2 baby sweaters (2 gift)
- 1 adult sweater (was supposed to be for me but will be a gift)
- 1 boot toppers (1 design)
- Total: 18 design, 4 for me (all socks and no sweaters), 13 gift
I published 15 new patterns (same as in 2018):
- Ever True
- Hon Worsted
- Chayka (The Chekhov Collection)
- ICYMI MKAL Shawl
- Questions and Answers (The Chekhov Collection)
- Carrick Bend Shawl
- The Three Sisters (The Chekhov Collection)
- Impostor Syndrome
- Last Night I Dreamt
- Step In Socks
- Tesla Slept Here Hat
- Tesla Slept Here Cowl
- Rushing Home
- Off Hours Mitts
What went well that I want to repeat:
- Lots of Socks KAL
- 3-shawl collection
- colorwork set
- Kino Knits 12 Days of Advent Sale – ending in new pattern
- Getting published in a book
What I *don’t* want to repeat:
- agreeing to a design without seeing the yarn first
- naming a pattern after a historical figure without researching all the implications
- ill-fitting sweaters
- Point/Counterpoint, Vol. 5
- Lots of Socks KAL and other charitable causes
- Get published in for-real books
- Colorwork set
- Design an adult sweater
- Advent design
- 3-shawl collection
- Spin for at least 5 minutes 200 times this year. Figure that will get me to a sweater faster than just declaring it shall be done. #sistersheepspin
- Use the good sock yarn: like this and this and this and this.
- Sew a Deer and Doe Sirroco Jumpsuit by May.
What would you like to hear in the Kino Knits podcast in 2020? Tell me here and enter to win all my self-published patterns in 2020.
Knitting on Safari
Late December: Rhode Island
Knit One, Quilt Too: LYS in Barrington, RI
January: New York City (not Chicago)
Where to Find Me
Email: kinoknits (at) gmail.com
Get all the latest by signing up for the Kino Knits newsletter!