Episode 008 (Karen, Kenya)
Recorded on Monday, February 8, 2016
- Win all the Kino Knits Designs! Entry thread open until at least the next episode, probably late February.
- Jclark34 for the ITunes review
- GillMc2, Gill from Queensland, Australia
- jenknittingaround, Jen from Ohio, blogs here
- KathieR, Kathie from Washington state
FOs – Theme: cheating at yarn chicken
- Broken Seed Stitch Socks by Hanna Leväniemi (free on Ravelry) in cowgirlblues sock weight (100% superwash merino 2-ply in natural colorway, purchased in South Africa) and Regia Hand-Dye Effect in 06551 colorway, purchased in Germany). Judy’s Magic Cast-on. Jeny’s Surprisingly Stretchy Bind-off.
- A Nice Cuppa by me (hopefully coming soon on Ravelry) in Brown Sheep Nature Spun Sport (100% wool) on U.S. size 3 (3.25 mm) needles. Ornaments bundle. #24ornamentsin2016
- Brandilyn by Quenna Lee ($4.99 on Knit Picks website) in Knit Picks Lindy Chain yarn (70% linen/30% cotton, chocolate colorway) on U.S. size 5 (3.75 mm). Seaming tutorial from Twist Collective.
- A sweater for my son using Classic Wool Aran (80% Acrylic, 20% Wool)
- A hat (probably by Tin Can Knits – maybe Sitka Spruce?) in Knitting Boutique Potomac Worsted (40% Merino, 40% Baby Camel, 20% Silk)
- Testing ongoing on the Maribou Shawl – hope to release in late February or early March, designed for Knitting Boutique Sassafras DK (60% Merino, 40% Bamboo).
- Michelle of Berry Colorful Yarnings sent me Saturated Sock (75% merino, 25% nylon) yarn to play with – something new coming soon!
- Price change announcement: all Kino Knits patterns will be $5 starting February 15. Free patterns will remain free.
- Hand-carding lots of terrible alpaca
- Caterpillargreen MCN fingering (70% superwash merino, 20% cashmere, 10% nylon), Concrete and Tulips Shawl Striping, 599 yards per 170 g
- doreenmacl asked, “Why ‘Kino Knits’? Pronounced how?”
Knitting on Safari (Karen, Kenya)
- Out of Africa (book)
- Out of Africa (movie)
- David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust
- Karen Blixen Museum
- Kazuri Beads
- Tamambo restaurant
- Giraffe Center
“Kassongo” by Orchestra Super Mazembe, used with permission of A.I. Records (Kenya) Ltd